The Ankle Boot Rule Book
Ankle boots are still everywhere for AW13 but they're trickier to pull off than you might think. Lucy's finally found her perfect pair (Hudson's Mirar), but it took extensive research so we thought we'd share what she sussed out along the way.
1. Ankle boots have the ability to bisect the leg at an unflattering, ankle-obscuring point. Be prepared to try on lots of pairs to find the length that works best for your leg length. Shorter legs tend to suit the super cropped versions whereas those blessed with longer limbs can pull off the high-top styles.
2. Most important of all is that we need to see the boot. You want your leg to look streamlined so absolutely no excess fabric flapping around.
3. Skinny jeans are the ankle boot's best friend. This way the boot become an extension of your leg. Tights are good too, especially as ankle boots have a great nack of steering a pretty dress away from smart or prim.
4. We're also loving a slouchy boyfriend jean right now. To make these work with the ankle boot, roll up into a neat cuff. If you're ankle boot has a zip then it's absolutely acceptable to leave the top of the zip slightly undone to accomodate a bit of cuff.
5. Unlike mid calf or knee high options, ankle boots offer great opportunity to up the interest thanks to their neat proportions. Have fun with colour, zips, buckles and texture. Wooden heels are back this season too.