Our much missed VM extraordinaire Laura was back in town last Friday. Her visit just happended to coincide with a window change so we put her to work. Cue lots of big laughs, much tea drinking and one beautifully decked out festive window.
We have a Christmas survival kit stashed behind the counter and it contains Haribo, Diet Coke, Berrocca and the thing we really couldn’t do without - Rosebud Salve. Hats off to Dr. Smith who developed the “all purpose family salve” in his Maryland drugstore in 1895 because we don’t think it’s ever been bettered for smell, consistency, finish and all round usefulness. Here's what to do...
1. Slather generously on cracked knuckles, parched lips, under sore noses, around tired eyes or any bit of skin starved of moisture.
2. Use instead of lipgloss or over lipstick. It gives a lovely dewy effect without being sticky.
3. Smooth over eyebrows to tame an unruly brow line while also giving sheen.
4. Apply sparingly to tresses to combat fly-away or frizzy hair.
5. Dab a small amount on cheek bones, shoulders or collar bones for a subtle accent.
6. Use as a base under eye shadow to help hold the look.
7. Work into cuticles to soften them.
Tis a special day indeed and one of our most cherished traditions (besides morning coffee and afternoon tea); the hanging of our beautiful swag by Victoria's dad completes our festive makeover and marks the start of Christmas proper.
It might seem crazy and odd, spring arriving in winter, but if you can get your head around it, then there's a lot to love about looking ahead to peeling off those layers. MiH's pre-SS13 collection is just the gentle nudge into the new season we need. Inspired by "the swimming pool blues of the sky" and "inevitable drops of rain as we peer out the window" this earlybird installment features beautiful cotton shirting, loose-fitting cotton/linen vests, boyfriend jeans (we're really excited about) plus a leather jacket and heavy knit to fill in until some warmth returns to the sun.